Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sonnie Kitty

Ugh I've been terrible at this lately.  I have things to say, just need to find the time and energy to do it!  I promise I'll get better...

Last Monday, our kitty Sonnie died :-(  We got him and his brother Sancho from my mom's farm when they were baby kittens.  We have had them for 5 years now.  Last winter they both came down with something and got sick - lost alot of weight and had no energy.  We actually were wondering if they'd make it through it last winter but they did and seemed to be better.  About 2 weeks ago though I had realized that Sonnie seemed really really lazy and slow and was starting to loose weight again.  Last Saturday night I didn't think he looked very good so we started to keep a close eye on him.  By Sunday he was barely moving and wasn't eating.  And then on Monday he passed away.  We're not really sure what happened since it seemed to go so quick.  He is buried at my mom's.

We definitely miss him around here.  It's weird only having one cat running around or one cat being lazy and napping all day.  We can tell that Sancho really misses him too and is jumping up on our laps alot more for attention which is unusual.  I don't think the kids realize he is gone as much as Mike and I do though.  They were our babies before our real babies.  He was a great cat to Bennett and Ashley.  He would cuddle with them laying on the floor or let Bennett chase him (or vis versa).  Here are a couple of my favorite, more recent, pictures of Sonnie.

3 comments:

  1. Does Bennett understand what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He saw Sonnie when he was still alive but just lying there. I told Bennett that he was sick and wasn't feeling well. I told him to tell Sonnie Love You which he did. We obviously didn't let him see dead Sonnie so when he woke up from his nap and Sonnie was gone, we just explained that Sonnie got sick and died and that we won't see him again. He looked concerned at first but hasn't mentioned much of it since that first day. My mom's dog Buddy died this fall so he had had a previous experience with a dead pet.

    ReplyDelete