By the next time you come to my mom's farm, things might look alittle bit different. (even if you show up in 2 weeks!) David has decided that this old corn crib shed is coming down! It's only use in the past 15+ years has been as a garage for Jon's car. The roof leaked and it didn't even keep rain or snow out of the shed anymore.
In its place David is planning to build a nice workshop/garage shed for himself. He is planning to do most of the actual building of this new shed by himself so I really don't think it will be built anymore this summer but I might be wrong in that thinking. He is planning to have this new workshop have a cement floor and to have it heated so that he can work out there during the winter. All of his tools and saws will be moved out of moms house garage and into this new shed. He has been talking about this since winter and he finally decided he's going to do it. He hopes to start a construction business for himself someday so he wanted a 'headquarters' with an office and shop.
The other day he started the demo and was on top of the roof ripping shingles off and some of the plywood. Scary watching him do that so high up!
The main use of this shed back in the farming days of my dad and Grandpa was to hold corn cobs (before my dad had a combine and put up the bins to put the shelled corn in). The corn was put in the top and then was removed from the shed by those 3 doors. Honestly my dad did not use that shed very often that I can remember. The door furthest on the right used to be my playhouse! I had a kitchen set in there with my play dishes and play food. I remember so many fun times in that playhouse!
What year was the corn crib built? I don't remember being around for that. -Bonnie
ReplyDeleteI think it's neat that the farm is getting use, even if things are changing. I remember sitting in front of that corn crib, scraping hard corn off the cob into buckets just for fun. It made my thumbs really sore!
ReplyDelete