This spring when Mike and I were looking at our summer calendar we found one weekend that we weren't busy so we were hoping to take the kids to Duluth and see Lake Superior. They are at great ages for a trip like this without having to take strollers etc. with and that they'd actually be interested and not bored. So all spring when I was looking for hotels, the cheaper ones were already booked and all I could find was hotels for between $200-$300 a night - way way more than I planned to spend for just sleeping. So unfortunately, the week before we decided to scrap the trip and just do a few fun local things instead. On the 4th of July Mike was talking to his uncle about this and he said we could use his cabin for the weekend instead if we'd want. So when we got to looking at where his cabin was located, we found out it was only an hour away from Duluth! (we live about 3 hours away from Duluth.) So on Friday, July 8th when Mike got home from work we left and went to Uncle Tom's cabin for the night, for a free stay instead of $200+.
Saturday morning we got up and headed for Duluth. From looking at the shipping schedule we knew an approximate time that a ship would be arriving -10am. When we were pulling into Duluth and the Canal Park area we could tell right away that a ship was coming. Mike had to go park so he just dropped us off a the curb and the kids and I quick ran down to the Park and made it JUST in time. Literally, one more red light and we would have missed it. We had fun looking around in Canal Park for a couple hours.
(We recently painted our bedroom a grayish/dark blue color and I plan to blow up this one and a few other light house pictures for the artwork on our walls.)
Wow, that all worked out perfectly! Even though I love to plan, I do feel like sometimes things feel more fun if they just happen to work out, like you guys getting to use that cabin and also getting there just in time to see the ship pull in.
ReplyDelete