Bennett started Kindergarten! Where has the time gone for all of our babies???
His first day was on Monday, August 25th. The day before, the school had a back to school picnic where the parents were in meetings with the administration and the kids could go to the classrooms and unpack all of their school supplies. So Monday morning was a bit less hectic because of that which was nice. There were no tears by Bennett. He was more than ready to go. He gave me a hug (by the car), I walked him in to his room, he walked in and didn't look back. He has the same classroom and teacher as he had last year in preschool. (For the past years, Mrs. Aurich has taught preschool 3 year old, 4 year olds and Kindergarten. This year since Kindergarten is every day, she has that full-time and they hired a new preschool teacher.) Also, for the record, there were no tears by me either, except they almost did fall during the opening chapel when one of the songs that we sang was Jesus Love Me. It was so sweet to hear all of the school children singing it and realizing that Bennett is now one of those children singing that song with all the big kids. That was when I realized I'm so happy he is at a school where he can freely worship and learn about Jesus and also that my baby boy is no baby anymore.
His day starts at 8:15 until 2:50. By the way, 8:15am is super early for us because most mornings during the summer, we were still sleeping at that time! He will be going to school every day, all day. The school is giving the Kindergarteners all Fridays off until October though so ease them in to the full week. They also do have a 20 minute rest time after lunch to relax on their rugs.
He has 16 kids in his class, 5 boys and 11 girls. I was alittle worried because he had a couple of really good preschool friends that he expected to be in his Kindergarten class but two of these boys were being held back a year and another one went to public school. I didn't have the heart all summer to tell him that they wouldn't be there! But they do have one new boy in K that was not in Pre4 and after his first day when I asked him if he had fun he said "I played with the new boy. He's my best friend!". When I asked him what the boys name was he said "Oh, I don't know." (It's Nolan).
For the second day and the remaining days of the week, I dropped him off at the front door and he walked in by himself (and again didn't look back), and I drove away. I also don't need to go in when I pick him up either because I'm bringing a 2nd grade girl who lives down the road from us home to her house, so she's been going to his room to get him after school and bring him out to the car.
At Zion Lutheran School
My kids are the same way with not knowing other kids' names. What's up with that? I keep trying to teach them to ask what other kids' names are!
ReplyDeleteSasha loves to ask kids what their names are. The unfortunate consequence of that is once she knows their name, she considers them her "best friend."
ReplyDelete