Baby Update!
I am 22 1/2 weeks along! Over half way (unless it's as late as Bennett was). I am feeling very good and the past few weeks I've been able to feel the baby moving around quite a bit. I've gotten my baby bump in the past 2-3 weeks but I'm not huge yet by any means. So far I've only gained about 4 pounds.
Last week at 21 weeks I had my ultrasound. We did not find out what we are having and hope to be surprised again unless we happen to see something during the ultrasounds. It is so fun to see the baby and watch it moving around. The tech that was doing it said though "boy this baby is really moving around alot - you must have a mover on your hands". Mike and I looked at each other as to say "oh great another one!" We got to see the baby even open and close its mouth which was very cool to see - see picture #2.
I did get a call from my doctors nurse though a few days later and she said that they had gone through the ultrasound and that the baby looks good but, I did have a low placenta. This means no strenuous exercise (haha like that happens), no intercourse, etc. for 6 weeks. Then I'll have to have another ultrasound to see if the placenta has moved up. I did a little checking after I got off the phone with her to see what this was all about and from what I read, it looks like the placenta is normally above the belly button and a low placenta means it is below your belly button and almost covering the cervix. If it doesn't move up on it's own as the baby grows, it will be covering the cervix and I wouldn't be able to deliver naturally and I'd need a c-section. The one good thing about having to have a c-section would be that I'd be able to pick my date and I wouldn't end up in the hospital anytime around my due date which is Dec 24th. I had my regular monthly checkup today and she explained it to me alittle more and she said that most of the time after the 6 weeks, it has gone up on its own. But, if it hasn't after the 6 week ultrasound, I would have to continue to have monthly ultrasounds until the time of delivery to see if there is any change in order to have a natural birth. So nothing to really be concerned about - just have to wait out the time and hope it moves up. Have any of you regular blog readers had this problem?

Thanks for the update, Rachel. We'll be praying for you and that baby. You need to eat more - the baby's legs are really skinny. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel, thanks for the update! I've been meaning to e-mail and ask, but I just haven't. I think Amy had a low placenta (not sure, though), maybe with Grace, but she was going to have a c-section anyway. One of my co-workers in St. Louis had it, too, and her placenta moved up on its own, and she had a normal delivery. I think it's actually somewhat common (but that doesn't make it any easier that you can't do anything about it).
ReplyDeleteWow! Those are really clear pictures. Have you done any of the 4D pictures?
ReplyDelete